09 December 2012

Ergo Proxy - 7: Re-L124C41+


Re-L124C41+
Re-L seems to have nearly supernatural healing abilities. Within three days she has recovered from near death and only has a bit of pneumonia left, if that.

The collective stonewalls Raul. They ask him to do the impossible, and then give him no assistance in accomplishing it. No wonder he is short-tempered and angry, he is given a job and then prevented from doing it. He is toyed with and manipulated and serves with no recognition or respect or even possibility of success.

The administrative bureau claim to be all-knowing, but hardly seem to be truly so. And Re-L was allowed to survive, despite breaking all rules and regulations which the dome is so dominated by upon. What injustice is this. Not to mention he is the seconds highest rank and yet they say that information is unauthorized.

Daedalus probably guides her to the Wombsys, then meets her there. He probably knows she saw the proxy markings and probably let her.

They're like clockwork wombs...
This is the birthplace of true citizens of Romdeau. The Wombsys.


       (Did you notice that she automatically brought the scalpel to his throat in self defense? He doesn't even flinch. They know each other pretty well. )
Daedalus, tell me why.
I'll be taking my scalpel back from you now now. If even one of them goes missing, people might start to ask questions. By the way; Well done. Your curiosity is quite impressive.
....///....
Alright. Forgive this interlude, but this entire episode has so much information in it. It's one of the best episodes precisely because it comes out and admits basically all of the setup for the plot. All of it is actually simple and straightforward. Which leaves me at a bit of a loss because the best I can do is repeat it and highlight details, except basically every detail is important and true.
The most unfortunate thing about all this business is this all suggests really important themes, but these too seem kind of obvious after I've thought about the and accepted the universe so much already, and I don't have much inspiration to discuss them... so this episode post is more of a summary than an interpretation ... sorry. All of the ground work is laid down for the themes of Ergo Proxy, so I probably should dive in, and yet.... I don't. Hopefully I will in later posts or return here to add to the reactions section perhaps.
....///....
From function to form. This production line is far and away the most efficient biological and mechanical system that exists within the dome. It is from this place that the foundations of what makes a good fellow citizen are prepared. Every step controlled, every detail scrutinized. All balance maintained. Population management and social stability are essential for maintaining an ordered daily life within a city like Romdeau.*


*This sentence could mean several things. It could mean that a city trapped inside a dome must be regulated carefully because of its nature. There is no other place to escape to, vent stress, recruit from, or rely upon for assistance... social stability, economic stability, population stability, and health stability is necessary.
Daedalus may also be commenting from ignorance. Maybe he truly believes that the entire human race can only function in this way. The dome must have told him so, and it is the only life he has known.


I'm fine. It's just... I've always known that people are grown in tubes. I've known about it and accepted it my entire life. But, but the reality of it is...*


*The concept of it being natural to be grown in tubes is interesting to consider. It makes sense that the reality of it is troubling to her anyway because isn't the concept of having been born inside of another human being also rather disturbing to us? Despite it making perfect sense, being natural, and being the only possible explanation?
How is it that we can live with such fundamental concepts our entire lives and yet, be shocked when faced with the reality of it?


Seeing it can be disturbing. Operation intervention in early development. Only by our constant intervention can the human race continue.
Are you so sure. Are you? Then how do you explain the world outside? Daedalus, can you just tell me if there is a viable living world outside these walls, then why do the citizens need the Dome anymore? Hasn't it's usefulness finally come to an end? Why keep it a secret?
I'm an idiot. I came very close to losing someone important to me. I'm sorry, I never should have let you go outside.
It's too late now. Once you know the truth, there's no escaping it ever again.
Yes.
You still remember our promise?
       (Back when she showed him Monad's corpse, she asked him to analyze it for her and tell her the results. "I need a favor, examine it, and tell me what it is." "Even if I do what you ask, you may not like knowing what the truth is." "I don't care." and "Re-L, promise me one things, you must tell no one" and "I'll leave the rest to you. Why don't you file the results away then, when you know them. I'll come by to pick them up.")
Yes, but first off, I need you let me save face.
       (Remember what he said at the beginning? If you like, I would be happy to bring her by later. Daedalus is very very perceptive himself. He can handle Re-L like no one else can (after all, he was created to be her doctor, was he not?) but only by a mutual respect for one another. He convinces her, and asks favors. Still, that is a certain type of manipulation. Sort of. On the other hand, she goes against his will and does whatever she wants so much of the time. She practically walks all over him. Basically, they have a very interesting relationship. It only gets more interesting, but this is the last we will see of it for a while.)


Grandfather. I'm sorry I have caused so much trouble.
       (This is heartfelt.)
Re-L are you finally satisfied? What did you see in the world outside. It's alright, you can speak freely here. We would have you speak. Now.
       (So freely. We demand that you tell us.)
There were people out there. Real living people. A whole world.
Really.
       (What is this, sarcasm? You already know.)
Why do you hide what is out there.
Re-l.
What are you so afraid of out there.
You've said quite enough.




This era is coming to an end.
       (In more ways than one. Raul rightly notices that the Regent is running out of time. Raul also is becoming more independent, rash, calculating... call it what you will.)

Then let's simplify. I want to pull the relics from the secret underground vaults.
Intelligence Release Mode confirmed.
You mean the long range crafts that were used for the Mosk operation?
       (This is meaningless now, don't worry. It is related to the next scene, but that is all you can hope to know at the moment. "It was plundered, from the Mosk Dome." Wait until 3 or 4 more episodes. This is not an empty thread.)


I have the autopsy report from that thing of yours from awhile back. That thing from deep inside the outer block. But before that I'd better tell you everything. Right from the very beginning.
       (I don't know why he is so circumspect about it, but he is referring to the proxy Re-L showed him....)
We called it the Monad proxy. It was plundered from the Mosk dome. It was already here when I was first assigned to the facility. I wasn't told the reasons as to why it was kept shackled or the reasons we were forbidden to awaken it. But there are some things I do know. First. It is in no way a person. From a theological as well as a biological perspective we were unable to identify anything. Even down to gender. In my opinion, as far as it's significance to Romdeau, the proxy should be thought of as ... as more of a life force.
       (Everything Daedalus says is true and to be believed and central tenets of the series. This entire episode gives many many real answers, which is why I am just retyping it and commenting on it instead of interpreting it.)
So it's not a monster.
No, in fact it's really much more like a god. It's the key to supporting the field necessary for our survival, on this devastated world.
It sounds almost like magic.
We do have data to back this up. Come here, look. This specimen is composed out of these cells. They're called Amrita cells. And they're, as best as we can tell, immortal. If we could discover their secret, who knows.
The proxy is the key to our survival. But now it's been lost. So then, Romdeau must also have....
Yes, we must never forget. We have our own little secrets, don't we.
There's more than one proxy out there.
Yes, that would be it.
Hey, don't treat me like I'm an idiot.
       (I read this as more or less a direct jab at the audience that they want to have things spelled out for them and are probably feeling pretty grateful right about now to get some answers.)
Alright, then there's something else I want to ask you. Tell me. Where did you ever manage to learn the word proxy?
You know you left me alone in your office.
Re-l.
To be honest, I... I don't know why I am so drawn to all of this.
Couldn't help yourself?
It's not just that. Suddenly something had changed. If I had simply done my job and walked away from this mess, then I'd still have my life. My life before I'd ruined everything with these questions. And their terrible answers. But....
But?
I asked my questions. And then I discovered a whole world I never knew. That's my trouble with questions. I still don't know how to take them back.
Yes. That sounds like you. See, I'm kind of the same way. I like answers. That's why I'm here.
Daedalus.....?

Re-L and Daedalus are both one of a kind for Romdeau. They do not obey, they think independently, they like truths and answers despite how much it hurts to know them. This scene is surprisingly tender. They are revealing uncomfortable truths about themselves. I also tend to suggest that they are uncomfortable because they can't explain or justify them, but that may be my impressing my own thoughts upon them.
What's more, Daedalus's last comment is thought provoking. How much are Re-L and Daedalus completely slaves to their social programming? Are they not acting exactly how the Dome expects and asks them to? If not, then why. Is it circumstance, or free will, or mistake, or permitted?


Vince. We are going to where you were born, right? What kind of place is it?
It's um.... you'll see when we get there.
       (What kind of an answer is /that/ Vincent?)


Cogito infected autoreivs attack the pair inside of Daedalus's lab. Only a few people have the authority to allow something like that to happen, and what's more access to the information for manipulating the cogito virus. Normal autoreivs would not attack like this, not even cogito infected ones. Most Cogito infected flee and attack in self-defense only. They only gain the ability to think and act autonomously, not murderous tendencies. But these autoreives specifically target Re-L.

RE-L. REAL. hur hur hur. shut up ergo proxy.

[VIEW SPOILERS]
[/SPOILERS]

////// Reactions

So very poetic. Vincent's story in this episode is lovely. Furthermore, Vincent's story begins to have a much more central self-discovery tone instead of a more hard-adventure style. Well. This is the first one like that. The episodes are far from consistent. It becomes more explicit, but all the episodes mix together many story elements and the episodes themselves shift very drastically in pacing theme and mood.

"And there is no escape from what you know."
This is one of my favorite quotes of the entire series.

"Let's dwell on the thought of the day. If you are going to eat the poison, you might as well eat the plate."
Yes, another one of my favorite quotes.

"It's safe to say we'll never meet again. That's why I must forget. But how. How can I forget that face?"
Truth, belief, and emotions are all things that our perception of can change, but that we cannot control how they do. Vincent said before that he could not return to his blind role as a fellow citizen after being thrown out and living in the commune. Re-L now believes she knows too much and cannot go back to ignorance. And Vincent now cannot forget his past and the people he knew, even though it is meaningless now and even though he would wish to. External truth and inner nature, how do they define ourselves and shape who we are? And what of the paradox of being defined by something we cannot control, even if it our own emotions and thoughts? For that matter, we turn around and condemn Raul for being changed by his experiences, is that even fair?

No comments:

Post a Comment