22 September 2013

Ergo Proxy - 17: Never-Ending Battle/Terra Incognita


Never-Ending Battle

Yet another episode that used to be one that I thought was mostly bland and now it is one of my favorites. There is a great deal of setup for the further episodes, a great deal of character development within all the characters, and a great deal of puzzling scenes that I've finally unraveled, and a great deal of allusions and consideration of the series's stronger themes.

I'm not going to spare much comment on the short-term plot that unfolds within the episode as you have already seen that, but I will note that I am pleased at how Raul drops his ID card at the very beginning. His haggard expression and bitter commentary made me believe that it was him doing it suicidal-ly and symbolically, and not at all because he was craftily leaving a trail which would be my first guess. Of course, later, it becomes obvious that that is exactly what he was doing. I'm happy to be fooled.

From the last episode, Re-L has indeed transformed. She is still the same person, with all of her cruelty and biting remarks, but she has become more. She now has another side to her. Her compassion shows when she compliments Pino and again when she says that she believes that she should do all she can to reunite with Pino merely because Pino has shown herself to be devoted. She would never have made such remarks before, or held such values before.

Vincent too, seems to have grown a bit. He treats his lost memory directly and without crippling fears. In fact, he resolutely puts forth an ultimatum. "If I can't be me anymore, I'd rather it end. You understand? I'll need you to kill me." I am somewhat of the same mind as Vincent.

It's no coincidence that this statement is made (commenting on Pino).
"The actions of Cogito infected autoreivs are governed by their emotions; their souls."
and then it cuts to Raul Creed. You think it is Pino for a second, seeing the robotic-like eyescan.
Raul Creed. Cogito. Emotions. Souls. Pino.
These are all one and the same story.
If you doubt this is intentional, I will humbly point you to the end of the episode, where Raul Creed and Pino play the piano.
"I can no longer resist the feelings that drive me to destroy. It was always him. He stole the light from this great civilization. He stole the destruction my despair hungered for. He stole everything from me. Pino."
Cut to Re-L, Vincent, Pino:
"You really like to play." "Yeah, I love it."
(mother of god. Just typing that out and realizing.... realizing the comparison. It rends my soul.)
Raul Creed gained his soul through despair. Pino gained hers through love. They both gained their souls through their attachment to one another. Once again, it is love that makes them whole. Without one another they would just be a madman and an infantile girl.

I have searched long and hard, and seen that a few others have done as I have, but for the life of me, I cannot find what piece of piano music Pino plays. I must therefore conclude that it is original, and intended to reference Mozart.

Update!

Thanks to "Thought Criminal" I think that Pino is playing a simplified version of Mozart's 1st movement of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. Here is a piano version duet that shows some of the resemblance. And to add on to that, ThoughtCriminal noted that this plays in Alien, and the aliens here in Ergo Proxy bear resemblance in a few ways.

It is somewhat cute that Pino still makes the same mistake she made back in episode 6. "with Quinn she says, "You're like my Papa!" And Quinn says, "Hey, you mean I'm like your Mama, right?" And Pino responds cheerfully, "Oh, I don't know."" This time she calls the pregnant creature "daddy" and Vincent says "oh, not again!"

I do not want to say what conclusions you should come to, but I will list the facts.
The alien looking creatures are quadrupedal and bipedal.
They have a piano.
They do not recognize the language of Re-L and Vincent.
They are not proxies.
They have cave paintings of birth.
They can become pregnant.
They are dying of toxicity within their home.
The outside air is poisonous to them.

Most interesting, of course, is that they reproduce naturally. Re-L draws the connection between the cave paintings and the mother, but she can only think, "it can't be..." at the implications. Again, Re-L has only know and imagined reproduction through a dome city running a WombSys. In fact, all the civilizations so far have been produced by WombSys or been proxies. No wonder the idea is rather impossible for her to accept.

I am not sure at the way the air mixture is. "Strange, the poison should be thinning the farther out we go" suggests that it doesn't. My best guess is that it only changes at the mouth of the cave, where the dead creatures are, and that the toxic air is being artificially generated to keep them alive by the glowing blue machinery. I don't know why it is toxic, other than maybe that is the only compromise they can arrive at. Perhaps it has become a part of their biology, while still weakening them. I cannot say.

Back in Romdeau, the WombSys has fallen silent. The effects of the lost proxy are being felt, and all the accusations against the Administrative Bureau appears to have been well earned. Without shock Daedalus observes, "[He said] the usual. He said to ignore it and we'll deal with it later."
"I told you before, this sort of power would have significant implications."
The proxy is responsible for the WombSys's production. And the significant implications are not just potential ultimate power within the city if you control it, but also the very life of the city and the doom it faces without such power to sustain it. It isn't a crazy rant of Raul to be bent on revenge against the Proxy. The Proxy really did destroy the entirety of Romdeau. It really did steal "the light from this great civilization."

Humans have projected escape routes too. Raul is one step ahead of them however, as he looked at his own before delivering his speech.
In his last moment Raul Creed retraces the place he lost it all. The mall where his wife died. He even takes the heart shaped balloon Pino had on that fatal day.

Terra Incognita translates to "parts unknown" or "unmapped territory." It is also a reference to a short story in which the narrator hallucinates and slowly dies.

"Protocol must always be maintained." ... "And Chief, please accept my admiration of your conduct as a fellow citizen." That was Raul Creed's entire life. Now he is a fugitive. Why? His only crime was performing his role too well. Because he comes to realize that he has been set up since the beginning. His role was always that of a figurehead. He only served by keeping the people blindfolded and gagged. They are the supposed inheritors of the earth, merely waiting to repopulate. Except, that is not how they are being treated. No moves are being made to colonize or treat the outside illnesses. Instead they are held captive in their safe haven. He knows the truth.
[VIEW SPOILERS]

////////////Reactions:

My only thoughts on Re-L and Vincent's adventure are about how resigned the creatures are. They are so weak, both in body and in spirit. I can only guess at what a civilization would be like if it knew it were doomed to an unstoppable decay over hundreds of years. How, from birth to death, the atmosphere would be one of utter despair, resignation, gloom, and morbidity. What would it be like, to live your entire life that way? Save for one or two youths that briefly challenge their fate before giving up because there are no resources, nothing to do, and no hope. (Speculation: They may even be dying from slowly suffocating themselves by using up the oxygen. Dying from their very act of living.) What would it be like, to bear children in a society like that, knowing that they too will merely be part of the inevitable slow death?

Walking corpse from a clockwork womb.... what imagery.

9 comments:

  1. To me the creatures in the cave look a lot like the WombSys creatures. In a WombSys they're getting nutrients from tubes, which might be similar to the poison in the dirt. They're very fertile but mindless and malformed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean by the nutrients from the Wombsys might be similar to the poison in the dirt?

      Delete
  2. Can we gather from this episode that Kristeva has been infected with the cogito virus, but her self control, and raison D'etre allow her to not go mad?

    This realization hit me when she stated, "Emotional awakening really does lead to self-destruction. Just like they said." then within minutes she shows alot of emotion over Raul releasing the rapture. Another sign is the contrast of the next scene shows Daedelus's autoreiv emotionlessy deleting "prince" from her memory banks. It begins to feel like Kristeva is denying her own emotions, though is aware of her own awakening. In other words, she accepts she has a soul, but doesn't accept her feelings that came with it, so chooses stark coldness over losing control.

    It seems to me that one sign of infection is defiance to their raison D'etre. Kristeva's raison D'etre is Raul, and she continually defies him in this episode for the purpose of the greater good. The greater good is a concept not recognized by uninfected autoreivs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice point about the emotionlessness of Daedalus's autoreivs in comparison. It is definitely possible that is what Kristeva does. Thanks for communicating what you saw.

      I am pretty sure Kristeva is infected with Cogito in this episode. Like you said, she is emotional, acting independently, and coming to realizations about emotional awakening. She seems to understand the cogito infected autoreivs as well.

      I find it hard to believe that suppressing emotions would work at all, (an assumption from my culture....) so I merely assumed that she continued because she began to adopt raison d'etres for herself by finding other people and other goals to serve. I don't think that she chooses any goals for herself, (except subconsciously?) so in that respect at least, I certainly agree that she survives by withdrawing.

      Delete
  3. Can we gather from this episode that Kristeva has been infected with the cogito virus, but her self control, and raison D'etre allow her to not go mad?

    This realization hit me when she stated, "Emotional awakening really does lead to self-destruction. Just like they said." then within minutes she shows alot of emotion over Raul releasing the rapture. Another sign is the contrast of the next scene shows Daedelus's autoreiv emotionlessy deleting "prince" from her memory banks. It begins to feel like Kristeva is denying her own emotions, though is aware of her own awakening. In other words, she accepts she has a soul, but doesn't accept her feelings that came with it, so chooses stark coldness over losing control.

    It seems to me that one sign of infection is defiance to their raison D'etre. Kristeva's raison D'etre is Raul, and she continually defies him in this episode for the purpose of the greater good. The greater good is a concept not recognized by uninfected autoreivs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Elusive,

    Pino is playing a simplified version of Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" arranged for the piano. It's probably a pianist (possibly Yoshihiro Ike) making his own slight variations/alterations on the original (as it is a piece for strings) and decided to use that as something a child learning the piano would do.

    This makes sense as it's a piece frequently taught to piano beginners, and I could swear I saw Pino holding a learn Mozart for piano (something to that effect) earlier...but it's 02:30 here and I'm not seeing it in my notes, so I may be mistaken.

    It's been a while since I played music but I'm 92.7% sure that's what it is. After that I managed to find 2 others whom corroborated my identification.

    Links:
    http://www.talkclassical.com/9380-ergo-proxy-episode-17-a.html
    Forum post #4

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEmBt3uQOxU
    Comment by Pichi, 5th down sorted by "Top Comments".

    It translates out to "A Little Night Music." Fitting name for where it's being played, don't you think. Outside of the title, its 2nd movement was used in the film Alien (1979), and the cave creatures do have a certain look similar to the xenomorphs, especially the mother to the queen. Perhaps also the cave creatures were once human and were transformed into the creatures they are now, as the aliens transformed the humans into xenomorphs?

    Cheers,

    Thought Criminal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, yes. I agree. I had found some reference to it being Mozart, but I never managed to hear the resemblance before. (I do /not/ have an ear for music at all)

      Thanks for mentioning the Xenomorph similarities as well, I would not be surprised if it is alluding to Alien.

      I wouldn't have known either without your telling me, thank you! It's a piece of the picture I gave up on learning.

      Delete
  5. "Walking corpse from a clockwork womb..." sounds a lot like the people of WombSys technology, no? Especially in a dome city such as Romdeau, where no matter what they do they are destined to die a "fellow citizen". Their community keeps them in a dying city without a proxy. They stay or leave; either way they risk death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You forgot to mention that the last three numbers of Raul Creed's citizen number are 666

    ReplyDelete