26 April 2012

Minecraft Malady

Yesterday I was stolen from.
I had only been at work for three days so it was hardly anything terribly valuable. I still can't decide how I want to react. If they had taken some of my things, even all the useful things, I wouldn't have cared a whit, and probably just kept going as I was. However, they took more than they needed, even going so far as to take my mushrooms, bowls, saplings, and more. They couldn't have used it all, or even carried it all, so they must have just pilfered it almost for pilfering sake. That is what puts me in this dilemma. I don't like being stolen from, but it's tolerable and can be pretty fun and challenging. But when all of my things are taken, even the ones that have a use pretty much for me, and me alone, it poses a problem.

What's more, I started to catch the sickness. I started to think about how I ought to take from other people. Not as much and not as callously, but I had an itch that now it was my right to go around stealing. It would only be fair. Thankfully that fit passed soon. I can think of a few solutions - go and locate some places that is distant so I will be stolen from less often. Hide or include traps so it becomes more and more difficult to steal from me. Just make everything convoluted and difficult to get to or find...

I still want to be raided. I think it would be interesting and fun. However I want to keep some things safe and I do not ever want to be stolen from indiscriminately again. Warnings and signs can't work because being forceful would encourage the behavior and there's no grantee anything less will have any effect whatsoever.

This really did have an almost malicious flavor to it. Not really directed at me, but a sense that they think everyone else is below them and they want to take for takings sake.
I was lucky, that on a whim I decided to hide my most important cache only earlier that day.

For now I am content to point out that stealing *everything* only makes it so that I will not replace it as soon or as much.

But the dilemma remains - should I relocate to remain hidden from all? Should I decide to hide only the most important and expect that everything else may disappear? Should I place traps just to see?



///// I decided to hide things which works well enough. Unfortunately I haven't hidden my base all that well, so if they decide to grief it, I won't be able to do much about it. The next change is the fact that I am building a huge structure made out of wood. I want it to be near spawn so people see it. Otherwise I would just make it on my singleplayer. Well, it has been burnt twice. It takes just a few clicks and it undoes hours of work. What's more I now know I am on a server with a regular griefer. Or, I should say, some kind of immature boy who has got something to prove, but doesn't know how. And he has two to four friends who follow along with a similar mentality.

I think I am resolved just to build it repeatedly. Same for the interior decorations (an arboretum) I may request a few things from the next mod that comes on. Either a supply of pine wood, or fire to be disabled, or my building to be protected. Once I finish it completely once I will photograph it, maybe show Tekker, and then not maintain it. (except perhaps a lazy sort of frame until it is destroyed beyond repair.)

/////

The end result is that the griefers turned from griefers to cheaters. I hid my caches, only to have them detected using a cheat instantly and destroyed. I built my structure only to have it burned over and over with no materials to replace it. (It takes about 6 hours to construct and 12 hours to finish I suspect. There wasn't even enough time to do that. I did request assistance from a mod, but due to me getting distracted and them not replying immediately, I never tried again. (sorry) I did have fun with learning about how the griefers think and I did come up with a really fascinating idea for grief-proof structures. Interestingly my small speaking up got myself noticed by Tekker and 88 whom added me to their steam friends. (!) What a surprise for incredibly asocial, lurker, me. Too bad I don't play any other games they play, else I would try crashing their party or at least speaking up once again. (knowing me literally, "once" again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment