13 April 2012

NH2 - Update on Emily's Voice

So far the project has been going very well. I actually have a lot of content put together, even though I'm not sure how the entire thing will be when it is finished I am pretty impressed with the pieces of it I have scraped together so far.

I have learned a lot about how much the console cheat codes permit. I have learned quite a bit more about audio editing and I'm just learning some of the things the video program I am using lets me do. Every corner I turn I end up hitting up against a technical limitation. It is absolutely impossible for me to record my own content despite how much I really really want to. Even if it is really poor quality, I want to do it, and I have worked out a few ways (though tedious) which would show what I want to take place.
But, while I am not happy about not being to record, each other obstacle I encounter has been fun to work around. I can't seem to make the exact sound effects I had in mind for her voice, but I have had fun toying around with the options and found that really the only shifts that I needed was a bit of echo and a bit higher pitch. (I don't sound very girly) Then, for the video editing I can't add clips, but fading over to screenshots looks like it will work well for now. There is a lot that I want Emily to be shown doing personally, and I'm pretty upset that I can't think of a way to have Emily/player vision, but for now there will be at least some stuff I can show. If worst comes to worst I can just have her narrating her actions while there is either the protagonist vision, blackness, or representative images. Unfortunately it's not behaving the way I would expect when I try to do two layers of visuals, but the fadeout is fun and easy to create and I'm sure its just because I have overlooked something in the control scheme of the editing program.

I've been surprised how easily the material is to create. Adjusting levels of volume was really problematic for a long time, but then I discovered where the option is within the video editing program. It sounds pretty good, and most of it I don't have to sync up much either. Just recording it, then overlaying it and my vocalization seems to be at a good speed and match where I wanted it to be anyway. I'm probably over optimistic since I am only a little ways in and doing the same thing over and over isn't a good idea for the entire production. It is going to be quite long and tedious to do the entire thing. Hopefully I can tell a good story from Emily's point of view, gradually working in more varied content, and still have it flow alright. I can already tell that I will have plot holes that will make me unhappy. Mostly I feel like just being hopefully and counting on luck. It's been good.

Wait a second. I think Steam has a video record option. Maybe that would be easier on my system than the x-split I have been using. I should at least see if that is an option before I give up on recording motion pictures.

Maybe I'll record some of my plans and though processes next time I write about it. I have a lot of ideas and concepts all mixing around in my mind. Any of them could be included and any of them could be changed or discarded, but it might be fun to write down all the half-baked editions too.

No comments:

Post a Comment