04 September 2012

No More.

Oversimplification is now my personal enemy.

It used to be a cute pet peeve, turned into an obnoxious teenager, and has now matured into a putrid debauchery.

I thought it was just a phase, but now I know it is a scourge. I thought, naively, that it served a purpose. It inspired debate, it promoted speedy progress, it multiplied and spread conversation.

But whatever good it serves, it has clobbered and flooded and filthed. Everywhere I look I see more and more oversimplification. More of it and greater extents. It's devolved into a race to see who can oversimplify the most, in a mad scramble to yell the loudest to reach the ears of the nonexistent listeners. Nothing gets done when you trumpet something so simplified that it has lost any scrap of meaning. It is a road to nowhere if all discussion is in a permanent disconnect with ideas so simplified, so extreme, and people so unyielding or deaf that no one is even able to talk about the same concepts and ideas.

I like simplification. I like taking a complex idea, picking a piece and then dealing with that small piece at a time. That is simplification. This daft oversimplification done in pure intent to avoid talking about ideas, to avoid having any sort of grounds to even begin talking about it, is horrifyingly delusional. All communication grinds to a halt and all that is left to do is howl gibberish or leave.

If your castle can't stand up, you improve it or build a new one. Don't move over to a boulder and then scream and jeer when no one wants to fight you for it. Or worse yet, scream and jeer and fight over it anyway.







In case you are rolling your eyes and thinking, "you just don't get it, my political party is merely misrepresented." I'm not talking about just politics. It is religion. It is games/movies/tv shows. It is environmentalism. It is every single subject, conversation, discussion. Online. In person. About facts, about opinions. It is a rampant social plague. Maybe it is because we don't think we want understanding, we think we want agreement, ego, power, I don't pretend to know. It might have even always been this way, I DON'T KNOW. But I know that it is sickening.

No comments:

Post a Comment