28 November 2012

Teh epic internets

Was late on my way to physics (we are learning about oscillations, waves, sound, light, and other things which is all pretty cool and finally I understand them better which is inherently great but not what I want to talk about at the moment) and some one walked by playing music. Three seconds later I whirled around and laughed loudly. It was Len and Rin, Vocaloid, Kokoro, being played by some guy at CSU no less.

I was too late (in both senses) to chase him down and... I don't know, congratulate him?
For what?
Knowing something I know?
Being unashamed to enjoy something obscure and atypical?
Well, yes, these things too, but what so delighted me wasn't him at all. The idea of it. That my world, that our times are so ruled by the internet and ideas.
That society is just now coming into its own (or more historically accurate, still coming into its own) for experimenting and sharing ideas, but already ideas change the world far, far more that anything material.
When I talk to other people it is about concepts and not objects. Wars are fought over ideals and methods instead of straight transfer of resources. I spend most of my life reading and apprehending instead of getting and working for material things. I can count on the things that I do own would have been made efficiently with machines and worked out processes that have been the combined efforts of many people improving and refining one on top of another to make the result many fold better than the first attempts.

I live in an age of ideas, we all do, and we talk and transfer and improve on them constantly all the time as our very way of life.

We don't look at other people and value them based upon how much they own or how much they can work, we value our interaction, conversation, and exchange of ideas far more.
The internet allows us to do it further and more often and with more types of people, and this is something many people have noticed and pointed out.
But what captivated me here, at that moment, was how such a place dominates our lives. Socially of course, but also our education, cultures, entertainment, work, family... everything is tied to the internet because everything exists in the realm of ideas and the internet is the best way in our time for ideas to be preserved and communicated.

I've said it before, but it is no less true with time, I am glad that I live in this time period.
(And how impossible it is for me to image living in any other time. (...) How was it that I exist now instead of earlier or later? What would that have been like? What would I have been like? How can I manage to imagine it partially, when the concept itself is probably an illogical question?)

No comments:

Post a Comment